Plan B – for thought and discussion, part 5
For thought and discussion; follow-up to Pastor Todd’s message at FCF
on March 25, 2012
Click here to download and print the small group discussion guide.
1. Describe a time when you felt you were at odds with God?
Do you think it was because you didn’t really want God, but wanted what you thought God could give you?
2. READ John 16:33
This passage speaks of two incomplete theologies — mental frameworks that can result from an incomplete reading of John 16:33.
#1, “in the world we will have trouble”
#2, “I have overcome the world”
Taken separately, these thoughts amount to an incomplete truth.
Which do you think is more dangerous or harmful?
3. Idolatry is simply taking something other than God and making it our focus.
What are some idols you have noticed people in your life worshiping?
What idols might be revealed if you were to follow the trail of your time, affections, energy, money, allegiance?
4. How do you feel about the following statement: “Worship is more about what we do than what we say”?
5. In the past, what have you given your love and devotion to?
(career advancement, accumulating things, gaining acceptance, attaining a dream?)
6. Have you ever thought about the emotions that were represented at the cross?
As a follower of Christ, what emotions do you think you would have felt that day?
7. How do you typically respond to situations that feel out of control?
Do you tend to work harder, get more organized, get away, lean more on God?
8. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
What do you think this says about your needs, hopes, fears?
9. READ Ephesians 1:19-20
What does it mean to say that the same power that raised Christ from the dead is still available to us today? How would our lives change if we really believed that?
10. “God does His best work in hopeless situations.“ When have you found this to be true?
11. Jesus’ disciples had to persevere through a long Saturday after his crucifixion.
What is your “Saturday situation”?
Our anchor of hope in the turbulence of our Plan B is the truth that God loves us.
And, the message of the cross is that God loves us… that changes everything!